Episode 37 Overview–
In this episode, Dr. Jeck sits down with Dr. James Lane, the state superintendent for public instruction in Virginia. The two discuss finding solutions that are best for students, moving the needle on equity, the “tower of yes,” opportunities to “build back better,” and much more.
As state superintendent, Dr. Lane serves as the executive officer of the Virginia Department of Education, which is the administrative agency for the commonwealth’s public schools. He also serves as secretary of the state Board of Education.
Prior to his appointment as the commonwealth’s chief school officer, Dr. Lane served as a division superintendent in Chesterfield County, Goochland County and Middlesex County. He was recognized as the 2017 Virginia Superintendent of the Year for his leadership in Goochland County. Read more at https://www.doe.virginia.gov/about/superintendent/supt_bio.shtml.
- What’s your favorite sandwich and why? (from the bucket o’ questions)
- Tell us about your path to State leadership. What experiences best prepared you for your current role?
- Building consensus and leading 133 different divisional leaders is a daunting task. What is the key to leading such a large, diverse group?
- What is the toughest part of your job, and what is the most rewarding part of your job?
- COVID-19 has presented many unique “opportunities disguised as challenges.” We all recognize the challenges, but in what ways have we grown as a result?
Related Link(s) –
Season 3 Sponsors –
- Allen Wayne Limited –
Allen Wayne Limited is stocked with a diverse, talented team that works strategically and collaboratively with our clients to create phenomenal brands. We crave challenges. We solve problems. We develop solutions. Allen Wayne goes Beyond Design to craft an identity and personality for your entire operation. Located in Vint Hill Virginia. Feel free to contact us at 703-321-7414 or visit our site at www.allenwayne.com.
- Pay Your Nanny –
Payyournanny is a household employment payroll and tax service assisting families to remain compliant with Federal and State taxing authorities. If you employ a nanny, housekeeper, private assistant, nurse, home health aide, or other domestic employee, we’re here to help you navigate the sometimes complicated payroll tax laws. At Payyournanny, “We’re Here to Help Families.”
- Lovin’ Cup, LLC –
Lovin’ Cup is a personal chef business located in Orlean, Virginia. Feel free to contact Chef David for personal chef services at email@example.com or 434-996-7398.
Please note: The views expressed on this podcast are not necessarily the views of FCPS.